Williamson County
Texas History

 

 Beyersville,
also known as
 Dacus or Dacus Crossing.
Williamson County, Texas

  Beyersville, community near Dacus Crossing and Dacus School. Dacus Cross—s ing was mentioned in records soon after Civil War, the school by 1889, where church services were also held. Gustav (Gus) Beyer settled there in 1886, established several businesses; post office at Beyersville was established April 15, 1893, Gustav Beyer, postmaster, succeeded by William Rummel (1898), changed to Wilhelm Rummel a month later; Robert Stumhofer 0906); office closed January 31, 1909. Businesses included stores of Beyer, Rummel, Albert Frerichs, Stumhofer, J. T. Simcik's molasses mill, 1908-1935; blacksmith shops of Albert Becker and Walter Sipple; gins owned by Leopold Bachmayer, Charlie Bachmayer, Ben Thonig; Albert Frerichs garage; Wagon Wheel tavern; Sons of Hermann
Lodge Hall used for dances and community activities. Name of school was
changed from Dacus to Beyersville at least by 1897. A small oil field was developed on the Charlie Preusse farm about 1940. School consolidated with Taylor in 1950.14

by Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).

BEYERSVILLE, TEXAS. Beyersville is on Farm Road 619 thirty-five miles northeast of Austin in east Williamson County. The area was first settled shortly after the Civil War and was originally known as Dacus or Dacus Crossing. Beyersville became the town's official name in 1893, when Gustav Beyer established a post office, which remained in operation until 1909. The Dacus school opened in 1889, adopted the name Beyersville in 1897, and was consolidated with the Taylor schools in 1950. In 1896 Beyersville had an estimated population of only fifteen, but soon grew to include several retail stores and gins, two blacksmith shops, a garage, a tavern, and a molasses mill. The Order of Sons of Hermann hall served as a center for community activities. Beyersville's population was estimated at 100 from 1933 to 1970. From 1970 to 2000 it remained around seventy-five. At some time the community was moved one mile south of its original site, to a location known earlier as Happy Hill. In 1986 Beyersville had two taverns, a diesel and equipment repair shop, and a Czech fraternal hall.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).

 


Mager Cemetery -


 by: John Christeson
4/03/2010

1 mile south of Beyersville on the west side of FM 1466

Marker text

Mager Cemetery - Reinhold Mager (1863-1930), a native of Brandenburg, Germany, came to Texas and married Franziska Krueger (1868-1951), a native of the Dessau community in nearby Travis County, Texas. The Magers donated one acre of their 150 acres of land here in Williamson County for this cemetery and a school. The first known burial, that of Albert C. Mager, took place in 1900. Many of the tombstones bear inscriptions in German, and 14 mark the graves of infants. Burials in the cemetery ceased after the interment of Franziska Mager in 1951. The 55 known grave sites are testament to the area's 20th-century German heritage. (2000)

intermet list
by John Christeson


Beyersville Cemetery
Also known as: Old Beyersville Cemetery

 
Local sources told me that the post office was moved in about 1970 from the old Beyersville site on Wagon Wheel Road to present day Beyersville. The buildings in the old Beyersville site were gradually abandoned and fell into ruins surrounded by weeds and saplings. The cemetery is now abandoned and overgrown with weeds, saplings, vines, creepers and ground cover, which had to be cut away to photograph the gravestones. Two of the gravestones have toppled over on their inscriptions. There may be other gravestones hidden in the cemetery growth, which is enclosed by cyclone fence about 100 or more feet long along one side of a field.

The cemetery is along Brushy Creek with reeds from 10 to 12 feet tall along the rear of the cemetery. The river has flooded at times and may have caused some damage to the cemetery. Believed to be more burial then documented.


  Latitude: 30.51854, Longitude: -97.34077
 
road map

satellite map
 


intermet list
by John Christeson

 

for more info click on
      Beyersville ,Texas  by The Handbook of Texas Online

view other communities pages