Williamson County
Texas History



  Gravis, Texas History

Gravis was a farming community on Dry Berry Creek some five miles southwest of Jarrell in northwestern Williamson County. The community had a post office, blacksmith shop, store, and school at the end of the 1800s. When the post office opened there in 1895, two names were proposed for the community: Cross Roads or Wyatt's Ville (the latter after Collin Dennis Wyatt, the local saddle and harness maker, storekeeper, and first postmaster). The postal officials rejected these names, and the post office and community were named for John A. Gravis, the original land grantee. The Gravis post office closed in 1904. By 1948 Gravis was not shown on the county highway map.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).



  Gravis Cemetery



  View from Cobb Creek Road. Area overgrown, unkempt, and cattle grazed. Possible broken stones from shredding. Possible unknown grave sites since several that were discovered were completely buried.

Added by: Doug Macnair


  click on image for an enlarged view

road map 1

road map 2

satellite map

GPS Coordinates

Latitude: 30.784873- Longitude: -97.69206

view interments

view other communities pages